419th Troop Carrier Group
Constituted as 419th Troop Carrier Group on 1 Dec 1944. Activated on Guam on 31 Jan 1945. Assigned to Seventh AF. No tactical squadrons or aircraft were assigned. The group's headquarters had detachments at Saipan, Tinian, and Anguar, the latter detachment moving to Iwo Jima in Mar 1945. These detachments operated transportation terminals that assisted in moving troops, equipment, food, and mail to, and in evacuating wounded personnel from, combat areas. Inactivated on Guam on 15 Feb 1946.
Allotted to the reserve. Activated in the US on 22 Mar 1947. Redesignated 419th Troop Carrier Group (Medium) in Jun 1949. Ordered to active service on May 1951. Inactivated on 2 May 1951.
Redesignated 419th Troop Carrier Group (Assault, Fixed Wing). Activated on 9 Jul 1956. Assigned to Tactical Air Command and equipped with C-123's.
Squadrons. 12th Rescue: 1947-1949. 15th Fighter: 1947-1949. 63d: 1947-1949. 64th: 1947-1949. 65th: 1947-1949. 66th: 1947-1949. 79th: 1948-1949. 339th: 1949-1951; 1956-. 340th: 1949--1951; 1956-. 341st: 1949-1951; 1956-. 342d: 1949-1951.
Stations. Guam, 31 Jan 1945-15 Feb 1946. Richmond AAB, Va, 22 Mar 1947; Scott AFB, Ill, 27 Jun 1949-2 May 1951. Ardmore AFB, Okla, 9 Jul 1956-.
Commanders. Capt Vernon C Dang, 1 Feb 1945; Maj Victor C Swearingen, 5 Mar 1945; Col Frank H Mears, 10 May 1945; Lt Col Victor C Swearingen, 6 Aug 1945; Maj John B Wakefield Jr, 19 Aug 1945; Capt Vernon C Dang, 10 Nov 1945; Capt John L Boggs, 21 Nov 1945-unkn. Maj Joseph C Hamilton Jr, 9 Jul 1956-.
Campaigns. Western Pacific.
Insigne. Shield: Per pale azure and vert, on a pile argent a point in point reversed gules between the wings of an eagle volant, sable, his head and detail of the third, grasping with his talons the left hand of a Roman warrior and lowering him to base; the warrior holding a sword in his right hand; all between three stars, argent, one in chief, one in dexter base, one in sinister base. (Approved 25 Jun 1957.)
Data from Air Force Combat Units of World War II By Maurer, Maurer, Published 1986